Monday 31 March 2014

HOLY BUCK

Buck Knives
I do hunting knives as well of course, same principle, same technique basically. I find they take a lot longer than kitchen knives but I can refine to a significantly higher degree.
When I do kitchen knives, a 2,000-5,000 grit edge is almost always enough. It is important to leave some teeth on the edge.
With hunters though, I don't really get to concerned about that, these are protein cutters so I can take them up to 10,000 grit or higher. They look nice too when polished like that, I think so anyway.

When I first started sharpening, seriously sharpening I used to sharpen every kitchen knife to 10,000 grit but I quickly discovered that it isn't the most efficient kitchen edge. It looks pretty cool but a 2k edge or even a 1k edge with a very light 5k finish is a fantastic edge for the kitchen.

Remember, the first stone, whether it be 140 or 500 grit gets the knife sharp, I could finish a knife off at 500 grit and people would be happy, believe me.

I just wanted to share this picture of the two Buck knives, I hope you like them.

The background is a beautiful Ikebana arrangement.

Peter
225 0579

No comments:

Post a Comment