Wednesday 30 July 2014

Purchasing a new knife - Don't make this mistake.

Hi,
I realize that the folks who are kind enough to read my Blog know what I am to talk about but it comes up so often that I want to mention it again.

I see this often, to me it is the most common error when the trigger is pulled on purchasing a new knife. I also know that for many folks, this is considered quite an expense, not everyone has a hundred bucks or even two or three hundred dollars lying around to get "another knife"

In many cases of course there are plenty of knives in the kitchen already but they are so dull that it's time to replenish the stock and get back that great feeling that comes the first time a new knife is used.

However, it is a cycle that will continue because people just don't have a sharpening plan. I've said it before, when you purchase a new knife, or your friends are talking about it, you/they should have a plan on how to get it sharpened and the plan has to be in place 2-3 months after the purchase.

Now a good knife seller will ask you and suggest a professional sharpening service and they should be right up front and tell you that regardless of the cost of the knife, it's going to get dull so be prepared for that and have a plan to get it back in shape.
Just a typical batch of knives. (nothing to do with the topic :) )
So many guys have talked their wives into making the 300 dollar purchase and she reluctantly agrees yet she is thrilled with the new knife......for a few weeks then the dulling process begins.


So what is a Sharpening Plan?

Before the purchase you could ask the store manager what he/she recommends to keep the knife sharp. This will surprise them because not many people ask that and the person should first and foremost recommend a professional sharpener who uses whetstones to sharpen.  Now if the seller tries to sell an electric sharpener or gadget and tells you "this is all you need" then walk away.

Nothing beats a sharpening using water stones, nothing but that doesn't mean that you can't use them yourself, I am  just saying that anything else is inferior.

At least have a plan, know that that beautiful knife is going to be dull sooner than later but it is easy to keep it like new.

I often see knives for sale and right beside the knife display are the 10 dollar gadgets, to me that is insulting your intelligence. It is also possible the the salesperson has no idea about sharpening and is just doing their job by selling what they may actually think works. There may be no deception involved  at all, just ignorance and that's OK, just be aware that those gadgets won't do the trick, they will not alleviate the frustration that comes with the dull knife, especially one that you talked your wife into getting and is now sitting in the pile with the rest of them.



Now your plan could also be picking up some of your own Japanese Water Stones and getting a lesson from a knowledgeable individual....now to me this is optimum plan.

How cool would it be to take that brand new knife and at the first hint of dulling to take out one of your new water stones and in 5 minutes get that crisp edge back. 

Trust me when I say that there are very few things in this world that will leave you feeling so rewarded and proud of yourself by sharpening your own knife. The two stones above are among the best in the world and yet both of them are cheaper that a Chef's Choice electric sharpener. 


Here is something to consider, for 75 dollars you could get a private 2-3 hour lesson from me with your new knife and your water stones and in that time you would learn not just how to keep it sharp but to get all those dull ones back to like new. I guarantee that you would be doing your friends and neighbours knives as well, you will be the most popular guy/girl on the street.

Don't forget one of these when learning.



Thanks for reading. sorry I have been absent for a bit, I thought when I retired I would have more time to do these things that I love to do but that has not been the case.


More to follow:)




No comments:

Post a Comment