Wednesday 1 October 2014

I'm afraid you will ruin my knife.

You may ruin the knife.

If you looked at my website and read my Blog you would know that the thought of me ruining a knife is absurd. I've never damaged a knife, even when I was learning years and years ago. The water stones are not harmful to the edge of the knife, the process involves abrading fatigued metal away and then bringing the two sides of the knife, the two planes together perfectly at the Apex by holding the knife correctly against the water stone. To damage a knife, other than dropping it on a cement floor, I would have to drive the edge with great force into the stone and damage that as well. (My water stones are precious to me) I know what I am doing, if you don't trust me with your knives that is fine, use them dull or take them to a friend you trust. You should know what to ask me if you are worried and I certainly understand the apprehension. Ask me how I sharpen them and what I use and ask me if it is possible that I could ruin your expensive knife. I don't mind the questions, what I mind is people using dull knives because they don't think anyone is capable of sharpening them properly. ( I told you I was passionate about knife sharpening didn't I?)

I just posted this on my website and thought I would share it here.

I remember a man and his wife coming into the Paderno store with a bunch of Global knives they had at home and they noticed my sharpening advertisement there. The awesome manager told them about me and how I sharpen (I was there at the time) but I could tell that guy was not letting me touch his knives. So now he just uses them dull, unless of course he sent them away to someone else.


Now that I think about it, not letting me or sharpen his knives even after hearing good things about me and how I do the actual sharpening, it is sign of ignorance on that individuals part. That person should know, but doesn't that sharpening his knives by hand on water stones, is the answer to his dullness issues, he's sharp challenged. 

However, in his defence, perhaps the salesperson who sold the knives to him told him that the best way sharpen them was only using Global products so in that case, that's cool, I understand the thought process, it is wrong but not the individuals fault, that is the sales persons fault.

I think it is really cool when people ask me how I sharpen the knives and about the process, I love talking about it.


Having really Japanese Water Stones doesn't make me a good knife sharpener.

BUT IT FUKING HELPS :)


Seriously though, if you know some who loves their knife so much that they just cannot bare the though of having someone else sharpen it, I have a plan for that person.

I will sharpen one of my own knives in front of the person, they can see what I do and I can explain the process.  I can guarantee that I probably love that knife more than he or she does. 

Remember, this is an obsession,  the thought of damaging a knife just doesn't register in my mind, I'm not worried about it. I don't think you could even damage your knife by sharpening it to be honest. 

Do you folks know that I have had over 10,000 people visit my Blog. GEEBUS that is cool. 
Thank you so much for being here.

A very grateful man.




No comments:

Post a Comment