Friday 21 November 2014

Chamfer the Sides of EP Stones

chamfer is a beveled edge connecting two surfaces. If the surfaces are at right angles, the chamfer will typically be symmetrical at 45 degrees.

I spoke briefly about chamfering the sides of my EP stones and I said I do not think that it is critical to do so.
However, if you do have something handy to use, it certainly does not hurt and it is easy and quick.  Also, in my opinion, it just doesn't protect the knife, i.e. a sharp sided stone could damage the edge, but it also protects the stones. Some of my stones have developed tiny nicks along the edge that is rapidly repaired by the process of Chamfering.

If you click on the pictures you can get closer shots.....I suppose you all knew that :)


ATOMA 140
This is what I use to chamfer the sides and also, more importantly to flatten my stones, it is critical component of my sharpening setup, especially useful for full sized stones. This Atoma, the best in the world from what I have heard is about 120 dollars Cdn but for most sharpeners, it will last a lifetime. I am on my 2nd one now. 

For EP sized stones, I set the Atoma plate down as shown and simply hold the stones at a 45 deg angle and run it back and forth, approx 5-10 times with gentle pressure will do the trick. Don't sweat the angle too much, as long as you are making he flat, sharp edge a little less severe.



EP 1k on Top and Shapton Pro 1.5 K below, unchamfered.


As you can see here in the pic which is not to bad considering I used my phone which happens to be the awesome LG G2 with a 13 MP camera :)

You can see the little nicks along the side from normal wear and tear which not makes be believe that chamfering is pretty useful in keeping the stones protected from chipping.  In fact as I finished taking the shots I realize that it is very important to chamfer the sides if only to protect the sharp and severe edges from chipping. I must be more careful when handling my stones, this comes from quickly putting them away.






I just run the stone at this angle back and forth lengthwise over the plate about 8 times. It is not necessary to press down hard. 





I think the pictures say it all, I just run the stone over the plate at a 45 deg angle at minimum pressure and it only takes  minute to do the whole stone. You'll need to repeat the process as you flatten the stones but it is easy and quick.

You can still see a couple of little nicks in my 1k stone on top but those are easily removed by just making a few more passes. 

I find the Atoma plate, the 140 and 400 to be absolutely amazing products, they excel at sharpening as well. I have the 140 in the EP sized as well but I wore it out, it lasted 2 years though and that is pretty good considering how often I used it.


Thanks for being here, I have over 11,000 folks now who have visited my Blog. Yes I suppose half of those are people who got lost on the Internet but it keeps me motivated.


Thank you Jim for suggesting this topic, I learned from it myself.

I went from thinking Chamfering the sides isn't that important to knowing now that it is, it protects both the edge of the knife and the sides of the stones.

Cool

Peter




Shun Nakiri above and a stone sculpture I saw in Scottsdale below.

No comments:

Post a Comment