Monday 17 November 2014

Edge Pro STUFF - COOL Stuff

This is just a quick entry to state that I will be spending more time talking about my experience with the Edge Pro and I will try and use pictures as much as possible to help folks understand what I am saying.

I'll talk about chamfering the edges of your stones and how I do it.

As a quick note... I do not think it is essential to do this, Ben Dale ships the stones without chamfered sides and now that I think about it I have not run into any situations at all as a result.  I don't chamfer the edges of Edge Pro Stock Stones at all, so I don't think it is something you need to fuss about.

Some of the other stones I use, Shapton Glass or Naniwa  Chosera come thicker than the stock stones and I find the edges a little sharp myself. So they often come with then chamfered and I keep them that way that way with the Atoma 140 plate.  Also, I have cut some of my own stones for the EP and those were definitely a little harsh so to speak on the sides so I did smooth those out.

I really don't think you need to worry about it too much though, I have NEVER damaged a knife edge by using a stone that was not chamfered. In fact, the only way I even considered getting the edges chamfered was because I ordered a Shapton Pro 15,000 stone from Ken Schwartz and it came that way.

I'll talk about things too as suggested by Jim and some others (thanks guys).


The picture above is a few years old now and represents a portion of my EP Stones.

I've sharpened thousands on knives on the EP Pro and have never ever run into an issue as a result of a stone that was not chamfered. Remember, it is SLOW and STEADY on the EP, take your time and you won't have any issues.

I will however show some pictures of how I do chamfer the sides of the stones but in my opinion it is not absolutely necessary.  You may read about it being recommended by others but if Ben Dale doesn't do it, there has to be a reason.

This is my opinion only based on my experiences.

More EP stuff to follow.....plenty of lessons learned.


Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment