Thursday 13 November 2014

Phoenix House of Knives........Paradise



Well I finally got to cross a must see place off of my Bucket List and this one was right near the top of the list. The Phoenix House of Knives in Phoenix AZ of course.

Before I went in, I prepared myself for some different scenarios:

1. Upon entry, and upon explaining that I sharpen knives, I get the "oh that's nice" response and I'm  asked "can I help you with anything" meaning, are you going to buy anything, if not, we really don't care that you sharpen knives back in Canada.
(Would of been ok with this because I was actually in the store) This scenario did not even come close to happening)

2. Another scenario could have been that the folks inside were not that friendly and the knives were overpriced and the fella sharpening looked like he started the job that morning.
(Would have been ok with this scenario because I was there at least but again, not even a hint of any of this stuff)

3. The Dream Scenario involved a friendly and warming welcome and a genuine interest in the fact that I was a sharpener in Canada and nothing but smiles and no pressure at all to buy anything despite the abundance of jaw dropping knives and  dream stones.


The third scenario was something I thought about very briefly so as not to be disappointed but that is exactly the scenario that played out........over and over because I went there three times. (Would have been once if not for the attitudes and professionalism of all three people I met)

In fact,  I think they treat anyone like gold who goes there, I was nothing special, I didn't deserve any special treatment just because I am knife sharpener but they made me feel like they opened the store that day just for me.




First of all this place is cool, this is paradise for a guy like me, the knives are spectacular, I absolutely loved the Murray Carter knives that they let me fondle, they are truly beautiful knives and the handles on them are superb.

For me though, the highlight of the visit to the Phoenix House of Knives was meeting Corey, the Head Sharpener and all around nice fella. Remember this is a man who shares a passion for sharpening knives and also, a passion for Japanese Water Stones. I don't meet people like Corey often, in fact never until now.

Not only did he take time out of his sharpening duties to chat but I got to see someone else who does what I do.  He is an outstanding knife sharpener too, I knew this just by watching him and talking with him so it was no surprise when I got to feel and see the edge of knife he had done......beautiful work.

It is awesome the way they do the sharpening right up front where  you can watch them sharpen knives, and they were busy, they are living my dream actually.

Of course the setting in Arizona enhances the whole thing, it is so beautiful there.


Sedona
I did not get to meet the Owner Eytan but that I do plan on returning on next visit in 2015

Corey and I at his sharpening station....(I'm the old guy).

Corey



Corey is not the only sharpener there, the other gentleman was just as friendly and he was sharpening here and there.

If you get the opportunity to visit, it is quite something, the knives are just amazing, I saw my first real Bob Kramer knife there as well.  

I purchased the Green Brick and a very cool sharpening "pond" and I can't wait to try them out later today as I catch up on all the knives that were waiting for me upon my return home.


Phoenix House of Knives.....A top notch place with some very friendly and talented people all eager to help you and talk knives and sharpening. 





Thank you for being here and thank you Corey for your time and patience with me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment