Monday 1 December 2014

I haven't forgotten you.

I am still a little overwhelmed by the amount of knives I have to sharpen since the article last week.

I am now averaging 45 a day by hand which represents about 10 hours of work. I don't get them finished but I'm too tired and I refuse to take any shortcuts.

People have usually gone with dull knives for years so another week won't make a difference.

I had a very beautiful knife shipped to me from Montreal today to repair and sharpen.



To be honest I don't know the brand name yet but I do know that it is very expensive, well over a thousand dollars. The edge is quite something, the picture above is the knife on the stones I used to sharpen it. I used the amazing Naniwa Chosera 400, on the left to repair the edge which was nicked and to reset the bevels. All went nice and smoothly after that with a finish on the Kityama 8k pictured on the right.

It goes to show you though, it does not matter what you spend on a knife, it will still get dull and often, in the case of these high end Japanese knives, which are brittle, it can be chipped if not handled carefully. There is not much forgiveness in the edge if it comes in contact with something hard and there is a little twist applied.

One does not simply sharpen a hand made Japanese knife.


This is a tree I saw in Scottsdale with green bark.



Take care friends and bear with me, I have 80 knives to sharpen, I will be back with pictures and stories.


Thanks for sticking around.
Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment