Thursday 8 January 2015

Carter Knife



I've gained a lot of respect for Mr. Murray Carter over the years, and until very recently I never actually got to sharpen one of his knives. Then in came an Executive Chef and proud owner of this amazing knife. I see thousands of knives a year and thus far, it is probably the best one I've seen yet. Meticulously crafted and it just felt fantastic. Sharpening it was easy, I kept it simple, like Murray does, 1k, 6k and I used my new Naniwa Chosera 10k but mostly as a strop.

I went and grabbed a tomato and asked the Chef to see how sharp it was, the knife literally fell through the tomato, it was exceptionally sharp, I think we pretty much sliced up that whole tomato because we were in awe of the knife.  Pretty cool experience.


Then I got something completely different, a Benchmade Tanto folder.
I used the EP Pro for this one at 23 degrees.


Since all my stock stones are worn I used a Latte 400 to start the work then onto a 1k Shapton Glass, 1.5K Shapton Pro, 2k Shapton Glass, 3k, 5K, 8K and finally a 10K Chosera.

I sharpen the tanto at the same angle by the way,




Onto a completely different subject, Steeling.

I have long since given up counting the knives I get that have been abused by folks who think a Steel sharpens a knife and  when the knife isn't getting any sharper, they just use more pressure, which as you know just compounds the issue and really does a number on the edge.

Now in this picture you can see the damage, although it is only cosmetic damage that slapping the steel against the blade, Gordon Ramsay style does. I just cannot see how that style of steeling is going to be of any benefit. I'm not a big fan of steeling anyway and if I did Steel it would be with a ceramic hone. However, as I have mentioned, I've talked to chefs about it often and they do see a benefit to it. However, there is nothing like a whetstone to keep your knife sharp.

Scratches caused by poor steeling habits.


By the way, do you know that Naniwa has change up there Chosera line up, they now sell what they call them Professional stones, they are a little smaller but I have used the new 400 on over 100 knives and I love it, fast working and slow dishing, I am very impressed.


More pictures to follow soon.

You folks are the best.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment