Thursday 5 February 2015

Making Videos and a TIP on TIPs

Hi folks,
I am going to try to improve the production quality of my videos, I don't want them to be amateurish, even though when it comes to making videos I am an amateur. I don't want the quality of the videos to interfere with what I am trying to put across. So please bear with me as I investigate this.


Sharpening Tips:

My first "new video" will be on tip sharpening both freehand and on the Edge Pro.

There are two areas of a knife that can be more difficult than the rest of the blade to sharpen, for me anyway and that is the heel of the knife on knives with bolsters and the tip of knives. Not Santoku knives but chef knives, paring knives.
(Did you know Santoku means Three Virtues.....Slicing, Dicing and Mincing)

If you are on the EP with the blade resting on the blade table of course, when you get to the tip, you need to move the tip slightly towards you by pushing the handle away from you. If you don't do this, you can have "bevel creep" as one of my friends calls it.  I have done this myself, I didn't adjust the front of the knife and the bevel was wider at the tip than the rest of the blade.

You don't have to move the tip out far, but by doing so you will have an even bevel from heel to tip.


When I sharpen free hand, I learned from Jon Broida to raise my elbow when it comes to the tip sharpening, it is pretty easy actually.

I will do my best to illustrate this with video as soon as I can

Peter





Even though this is a Tanto Blade, you can see that I have moved the front of the knife away from the Blade Stop, this is what I am talking about.

This is the one that I didn't move the tip away and you can see that the front of the knife has a wider bevel than it should.  I gave this knife away, that mistake bugged me :)


Spyderco



This is what we want to see, a nice even bevel all along the length of the knife.



Don't even ask.







Until next time.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment