Friday 22 May 2015

Something Different

This is a big knife with a recurve which made it a challenge to sharpen free hand.

I chose the Edge Pro to tackle this one and I used the 1/4 inch Edge Pro stones for the recurved portion of the blade. You can see the difficulty one would have doing this freehand.

The knife is nothing special, that is to say, the steel is not the best but the contour of the blade is different than what I am used to.


I finished it off with a Chosera 10.000 grit stone and I am pretty happy with the results.

I put the Spyderco in there just to show how large the knife is. ( By the way, the scratches in the Spyderco were already there when I was given the knife to sharpen)


Just goes to show you that there are many different knives out there and many different approaches to sharpening them.

My progression was a 400 Latte, 1.5 Shapton Pro, 2k. Shapton Glass, 3k Chosera, 5k Shapton Pro and 10k Chosera.

Lots of stones but they worked.

Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment