Sunday 8 November 2015

Naturally Sharp

Today was my first really good experience with a natural water stone, it was one I won't forget.


The firs thing that hits you when you use a natural stone is the smell, the earth smell that rises up and just takes you into a whole new sharpening sensation, it was very cool.

Even though the stone I have is a finishing stone, so very high in the grit range, it does not leave a polished edge that I am used to with stones like the Kityama 8k. I knew this though, this was not an issue of any type.
In the Yanagiba above, the primary edge has an 8k Kityama finish while the blade road has the natural stone finish, the misty, kasumi finish. It clearly defines the area of on the blade road where the different metals meet, the Hagane and Jigane as they are termed in Japanese. (Hagane being the hard inner core that extends to the edge and the Jigane the softer cladding.


It really was a fantastic experience, I will really enjoy using this stone and naturally I will end up with more natural stones..


Take Care
Peter

No comments:

Post a Comment