Thursday 14 July 2016

Shun Repair Shop

Hi folks,

     When I get a batch of knives to sharpen, usually 3-6 knives in a batch, at least one of them is need of some form of edge repair. Often the nicks are minor enough to vanish during normal sharpening but often that is not the case.

     When I do repair work, I will use either a coarse water stone, sometimes two coarse stones that range in grit from 150 to 500. If the knife is an inexpensive one and the damage is clearly from abuse I may use a belt sander to do the majority of the work and then finish off with the stones. Especially if I know the knife will suffer further abuse and sometimes I do.

    When it comes to Shun knives, 5-6 of them are chipped out of 10 and again, sometimes it is very minor and sometimes it is almost catastrophic, like, WTF damage :)

WTF DAMAGE


     In this case, after soaking in spectacle I tackle it like any other repair, I know it will just take longer. The problem with this type of work though where the nicks are so deep, the New Primary Edge, i.e. the edge after the repair work is done is further up into the thicker part of the blade so some thinning is usually necessary but that's no big deal.

    In this particular case I used a Naniwa Traditional 220 to do a lot of the work and then I followed up with a Shapton Glass 500 to finish it off. I do the work at about 85 deg and alternate from side to side. I could have done all the work with one coarse stone and if I had only one to choose from it would have been the SG 500.


   

     You just need a little courage to do this type of work, it isn't that difficult actually and you can keep in mind that anything is an improvement. The actual sharpening of the knife after the edge is capable of taking an edge is quite simple. These VG 10 Shun are easy to sharpen in my opinion. I don't find that the edge retention is very good but they do come up nice and sharp.



Thanks for looking


No comments:

Post a Comment