Sunday 7 May 2017

Restoration - Old becomes New





A nice man sent me a knife from Montreal. He acquired it through an inheritance but it had been lost in a cupboard or drawer for at least 15 years. He had no idea what it was, just that it is a Japanese Knife.

It is Yanagiba, the Kanji reads "Registered" "Tohgoro" which I have never heard of, some think that it is an old Tojiro.




The project took about four hours with the majority of the time spent on the blade road. It is an inexpensive knife and the blade road was not flat, not anywhere near it. It is still not perfectly flat but much better.







I polished it with sandpaper ranging in grit from 180 to 1,500 and then finally on a belt sander with a very fine belt, about 1,200 grit but that was just on the portion of the blade where the Kanji is. After that, it was all coarse stone work, 180 and 220 grit. In fact, I would say 75% of the time was on the 180 grit stone. I did it in increments of about 30 minutes at a time. It really tests your patience.





a Fun and very educational project.

Peter

3 comments:

  1. Thank you Dave. I won't tell the owner of the knife that it probably cost less than $40.00 new. That doesn't really matter, it's just a piece of his history and probably won't use it.
    Thank you for being here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to read your article.
    I get more information through this article.
    Thank's very much!
    find more

    ReplyDelete