Sunday 11 February 2018

Looking Glass Edge


Hi folks,
     There was a time when I sharpened knives like this that I had to put a mirror finish on every one of them and I used the Edge Pro Professional for that. Since that time I make sure to ask the customer what the knife is going to be used for and I put an edge that is appropriate for a specific purpose. Most of the time however, the knife has no specific purpose and it is for general use. However, if the customer wants a mirror finish and the knife is more of a collectors item I will do my best to polish it up as nicely as I can.

   I have since learned that I can get them just as sharp and often sharper and just as pretty doing it freehand. If the bevels are very wide though,  a mirror finish is difficult by hand, I mean for the bevels to be consistently polished to the same degree on both sides. So now I often do the majority of the work by hand but sometimes finish it on the EP if a looking glass edge is what I want.













I got this can of coke in Tokyo in 1987 and it's never been opened. I keep it as it reminds me of my trip there in the Navy, it was amazing.


Remember, these finishes won't last long in the bush, with rough work. I always strive for sharpness first and foremost and the cosmetics after. If when I am finished the knife on the EP and the edge doesn't meet my standards I always go freehand and get it up there.



Peter








1 comment:

  1. you blog is very nice. I got inspiration from your blog, so that I write my on blog on knives. here is my blog address: http://bestcsgoknives.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete